Using YubiKey with macOS
How to set up a YubiKey with macOS?
With hardware security keys you can get the additional protection of two-factor authentication to make your login procedure secure. Follow these step-by-step instructions to easily set up a YubiKey with macOS.
- YubiKey 5 NFC, YubiKey 5 Nano, YubiKey 5C, YubiKey 5C Nano
- macOS Sierra (10.12)
- YubiKey PIV Manager 1.4.0 or later
SETTING UP YOUR YUBIKEY WITH MACOS SIERRA
The PIV integration with macOS Sierra does not allow you to “require” a YubiKey when logging in. To specify this requirement, we recommend that you use our Mac OS Login Tool instead.
- Download and install YubiKey PIV Manager 1.4.0 or later on your Mac, running macOS Sierra (10.12).
- Open the YubiKey PIV Manager application and insert a YubiKey 4, YubiKey 4 Nano, YubiKey 4C, YubiKey NEO, or YubiKey NEO-n into a USB port. Note that YubiKeys work with most USB-C adapters.
- If your YubiKey has not been set up previously with YubiKey PIV Manager, you will be prompted to create a new PIN. If your YubiKey has been set up previously with YubiKey PIV Manager, navigate to Setup for macOS, click Yes, and follow the prompts.
- Use a 6-8 digit number for your new PIN and note it for future reference. Do not use letters or other characters in your PIN for use with macOS Sierra.
- We recommend you leave the other options at their default setting. For more information about the Management Key, see the YubiKey PIV Manager User’s Guide.
- When prompted, remove and re-insert the YubiKey to begin the pairing process.
- To begin the Smartcard Pairing, click Pair.
- To allow pairing, enter your Mac User Name and Password.
- Enter the PIN you created in step 3.
- When prompted, enter your login keychain password.
Congratulations! Your Mac is now paired with your YubiKey! The next time you want to securely log in to your Mac, insert your YubiKey and enter your PIN.
For information on how to unpair your YubiKey, see How to Unpair your YubiKey and PIV Login from macOS Sierra.
For known issues and additional information, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
TIP: The PIV integration with macOS Sierra does not allow you to “require” a YubiKey when logging in. To specify this requirement, we recommend that you use our Mac OS Login Tool instead.