Using your YubiKey with Facebook
How to use a YubiKey with Facebook?
With hardware security keys you can get the additional protection of two-factor authentication to make your login procedure secure. Follow these step-by-step instructions to easily set up a U2F Security Key with Facebook.
- A computer with a USB port and the latest version of one of the next browsers:
- Google Chrome (version 38 or later)
- Mozilla Firefox (version 60 or later)
- Opera (version 40 or later)
- U2F-enabled security key: Security Key, Security Key NFC, YubiKey 5 NFC, YubiKey 5C, YubiKey 5/5C Nano, YubiKey FIPS,
YubiKey Nano FIPS, YubiKey C FIPS, YubiKey C Nano FIPS
- A Facebook account
Setting up a YubiKey with a Facebook account
- Using Chrome, Firefox or Opera, log in to Facebook.
- Click the Settings and Account icon, and then select Settings.
- In the left pane, select Security and Login
- Next to Use two-factor authentication, click Edit.
- If two-factor authentication is not configured yet, click Get Started. Or if two-factor authentication is on, then skip to Step 7.
- Select the most convenient method of one-time password authentication.
- To the right of Security Key, click Setup.
- Plug a YubiKey into a USB port, when the YubiKey starts to blink, tap the button or golden edge on the YubiKey.
- Enter a name for the security key, then click Continue, and then click Done.
- If you need to register additional YubiKeys, click Add New Security Key, and follow steps 7-8 until all security keys are registered.
Note: Facebook requires to use your phone number for sending text messages as a backup method for two-factor authentication.
Other Useful Resources
- Your security key can be used with other websites while also being used for your Facebook account. You’ll find more information in Support section in the top menu
- If you’re having trouble adding or using your security key, try clearing your cache and temporary data. You can also try restarting your computer or mobile device.
- If you’re running Linux, you’ll need to follow this additional step to use your security key.
- If you want to stop using text messages (SMS) as an authentication method, you can replace it by adding both a security key and Code Generator to your Facebook account.
- Right now you can only use a security key to log into Facebook from a computer, a compatible mobile web browser or an NFC-enabled mobile device*
See the comparison chart for available security keys
* NFC compatible model — YubiKey 5 NFC